The vision restored : Cashmere Methodist Community Centre / Elaine E. BolithoPublisher: Wellington [New Zealand] : Ngaio Union Church, 2003Description: 176 pages : illustrations ; 21 cmISBN: 0473093642; 9780473093648Subject(s): Cashmere Methodist Community Centre -- History | Methodist Church of New Zealand -- History | Cashmere Avenue School (Wellington, N.Z.) | Community centers -- New Zealand -- Wellington -- History | Khandallah (Wellington, N.Z.) -- Church history
|Item type||Current library||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|New Zealand/Pacific||John Kinder Theological Library||BX8325.34.C33 BOL (Browse shelf(Opens below))||Not for loan||A42386909|
|New Zealand/Pacific||John Kinder Theological Library||BX8325.34.C33 BOL (Browse shelf(Opens below))||Not for loan||J00790251|
Includes bibliographical references (pages 171-173) and index.
Foreword -- Cashmere map -- Timeline -- Cashmere Community Centre land -- The church begins at Cashmere -- Enter Ernst Plischke -- The fundraising and building years -- Opening and first year -- James K Baxter's verses -- The gypsies -- Our own place -- Cashmere's Playcentre years -- Cashmere church grows on -- Moving on -- Khandallah Arts Theatre Inc -- Deirdre Tarrant teaches dance -- Cashmere Avenue School -- The community centre's demise -- The new hall rises -- Endnotes -- Appendix 1. Ministers linked with Cashmere Methodism -- Appendix 2. Cashmere trustees -- Appendix 3. Cashmere playcentre -- Appendix 4. Khandallah Arts Threatre.
"A little Methodist church with a big vision began in Joan and Bruce Cochran's Khandallah home in 1939, the leaders' plans for a Community Centre "where people can gather to play, think and talk, enjoy the arts, learn and worship together" was a radical concept at that time. This book opens with stories of the land they chose, their work, fundraising and noted Austrian architect Ernst Pilschke's role. The Centre's 1952 opening featured verses by James K Baxter, published here for the first time, and the premiere of Hamilton Dickson's operetta The Gypsies. Further stories of groups calling the Centre 'home' include the church, Cashmere Avenue School, Cashmere PlayCentre, Deidre Tarrant Dance and Khandallah Arts Theatre Inc. In 2001 the Centre's imminent demolitian led to further cooperation between the Methodist Church of New Zealand and the Ministry of Education. Their work with and for the school and community led to the Cashmere Avenue School and Community - Cochran Hall being opened in 2003. The vision of the old is restored in the new"--Page 4 of cover.